Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Big Phil In The Blues Coast



With a World Cup and two continental championships under his belt, the pedigree of our new manager is unquestioned. This evening in Guangzhou we will get a first opportunity to see Chelsea with the Scolari stamp.
Of course it is early days, and the Brazilian has already played down expectations by explaining that his players are not yet fully fit, yet all eyes will be on the Guangdong Olympic Stadium come 8pm local time.
Ricardo Carvalho already has five years' worth of experience playing for Scolari, as a seasoned member of the Portugal squad that came so close to silverware over the past five years.
The defender believes we can expect a patient style of play from Chelsea in 2008/9, and believes the present incumbent will differ from his predecessors.
'Each coach has his style and tries to show what he wants for the team. Scolari likes to play forward and also defend well,' he began, 'and with the ball to play possession football and attack, creating chances to score.
'They are different of course. José Mourinho did a great job in the last three years and we won the Premier League twice, which was so important for the club.
'After that he went and in came Avram Grant who did a good job but was not lucky, so we lost the Champions League to Man United. Now we have Scolari, I am used to playing with him in Portugal where he did a great job and I think he can do a great job here because he has the players to do it. Also he is a big coach.'
Salomon Kalou also believes the 59-year-old will be a hit at Stamford Bridge.
'He is a different manager with different medals, and I have been working with Scolari for two weeks now and it is a new chance for everybody to show what they can do,' said the Ivorian.
'I am looking forward to doing my best and being a part of the first eleven. I did it with Mourinho and Grant and I am looking forward to doing it again.
'They are three different managers with three different personalities and I cannot say much about Scolari because I have not worked long with him. But with José I think I had a great experience and I learned a lot with him and with Avram I improved myself. I am looking forward to doing it with Scolari.'
The manager himself has given little away in terms of formations or individuals he intends to play, so tonight presents the first glimpse into his mind. Hours ahead of the game, he says he is not feeling the pressure.
'No, not pressure,' he gestured. 'Pressure is the same in the clubs or the national teams. You need to win and it is normal for any coach in the world. We need to win competitions, for sure.
'I am happy with the players and have very good players in my team, we need to work every day to build our condition to the best, and I know that Chelsea renewed some contracts for players and they are happy.
'Step by step we need to build what we want at Chelsea. Chelsea is one of the best teams in the world, and I put my philosophy in. Step by step we will be stronger.'

Story by Andy.

No comments: